Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) was elected to his first Senate seat in 1984.
So how has that been for Kentucky? And, should we have any reason to feel good about his ‘leadership’ of the Senate – using the ‘nuclear option’ (a change in the Senate rules to confirm Supreme Court nominees with a simple majority vote) to change Senate governance in a way that will make our democracy significantly more partisan?
A quick scan of the state of Kentucky’s rankings brought up the following:
- The state is 44th in overall health rankings (2015)
- One of the few measures that improved over the prior year was health insurance coverage…soon that will change with Mitch in charge!
- The state was 45th in 2016 and 50th (yes, that is LAST) in 2010 in a ranking of best run states.
And, as of last September, ’16, he was also the LEAST popular of ALL GOP Senators as rated by their constituents!
- Send a free fax by clicking here (and remember to respond to the fax confirmation) – https://faxzero.com/fax_senate/M000355
- Call his Washington office: (202) 224-2541
- Script: “I am (name) from (state), and in your role as Senate majority leader, you should answer to all Americans. I am deeply troubled by your plan to invoke the ‘nuclear option’ and change the Senate rules for Supreme Court justices. You are damaging our democracy. I and the majority of Americans and Kentuckians DO NOT stand with you on this.”
Step 2: If you have time, post this information on Facebook.
BREATHE AND STEP FORWARD!
Thank you from the TrumpResistance.TODAY team
- 2016: http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/12/06/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-2/10/
- 2010: http://247wallst.com/investing/2010/10/04/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-a-survey-of-all-fifty/5/
For more information about the Health Rankings, click here – http://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/2015-annual-report/measure/Overall/state/KY
For more information about McConnell’s popularity in Kentucky, click here – http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article101647842.html