The Senate is scheduled to vote on Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education either today or tomorrow; likely tomorrow. This is a last chance to tell your senator to vote ‘NO’ because she is unfit for the job and a danger to our educational system.
The latest, most incredible demonstration of her ineptitude and ignorance is described in a February 4th NPR article (see link below for full article). In a written response to a senator’s question this past week:
“DeVos built an argument for virtual charter schools on language apparently taken — without citation — from a report written by a for-profit company with a huge stake in the industry. In the process, DeVos either knowingly or unwittingly mischaracterized the official graduation rates of virtual schools, making them look more successful than they are and making online learning, in general, look like a reliable pathway to student success when research suggests it is anything but.”
Oh, and did we mention that DeVos was once an investor in this for-profit company?
For this last stand, we focus first on Pennsylvania. Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) may be the best chance to swing another Republican vote to ‘No’. Then, make sure YOUR senator knows where you stand.
Your 5 Minute Action TODAY:
Step 1: If you’re from PA, great. If not, send an urgent message to a friend or family member and ask them to take this 5-Minute Action to call and/or email Pat Toomey.
- Easiest/fastest option – Share this blog by the email option at the bottom of the page.
You can also send from your email:
Subject: Please take urgent action on DeVos today!
Dear (name), I’m writing to ask you help to keep DeVos out of the Education Secretary job. It’ll take 5 minutes. Use this link and follow the simple instructions: https://TrumpResistance.TODAY. Thank you!
- Toomey’s phone lines are completed jammed with calls, but try: Phone: (202) 224-4254 or (814) 453-3010
- Thanks to Keystone Progress, here is a very simple email option. Click here – http://act.keystoneprogress.org/letter/tell-toomey-vote-no-betsy-devos-education-secretary/?t=2&akid=3324.494047.MQM18t
- Some are also resorting to fax: Fax: (202) 228-0284
Step 2: Call your senator (again!) and tell them ‘NO’ on DeVos!
- Use the link at top right of this blog to find your senator’s contact info. If you don’t get through, redial throughout the day whenever you can…
Thank you from the TrumpResistance.TODAY team
(and see you again tomorrow!)
Full NPR article about DeVos’s recent mis-step: http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/02/04/513220220/betsy-devos-graduation-rate-mistake
Article about the DeVos vote and Pat Toomey’s position: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pat-toomey-betsy-devos_us_58927b1ee4b0af07cb6b7d0a